Drones can be used for aerial inspections in the utility power industry, but flying near power lines can also pose potential dangers to drones. Therefore, pilots must be aware of the dangers of flying drones near high-voltage lines and have sufficient knowledge Lots of flying skills.
What happens when flying near a high voltage power line?
High-voltage transmission lines carry deadly electrical energy, and flying close to them affects drone signals. A drone landing on a power line could damage your machinery or cause a power outage. If the drone becomes entangled in a high voltage line, do not attempt to retrieve it yourself, not only is trespassing, but electrocution may also result.
At the same time, the area near the high-voltage line is often a strong wind. The instability of the wind can easily make the drone lose its balance. Therefore, the wind resistance performance of the drone must be guaranteed when purchasing a drone for inspection of high-voltage transmission lines.
Do power lines cause drone interference?
Electromagnetic radiation generated by high-voltage transmission lines may interfere with drone communication signals. This could lead to failure of the flight controls, making it impossible for the drone to operate normally and causing accidents. This interference is especially noticeable when flying drones in areas close to high-tension lines. Avoid flying drones near high voltage lines to ensure good communication and control.
What happens if drone hits power lines?
Since power lines and pylons are usually very tall, it is easy to underestimate the distance between drones and them. Misjudging the distance may cause the drone to hit the high-voltage line or tower, causing damage to the drone or even destroying the high-voltage line equipment. Always keep a safe distance enough to avoid any accidents.
How close to power lines can you fly a drone?
Stay at least 200 feet away from power lines or other electrical equipment. Never try to get your drone if it crashes near a downed line or substation.
Safety advice for Drones Flying Near Powerlines
- Never fly a drone close to a power line. Try to choose an area away from high-voltage power transmission lines for flight to reduce the risk of electric shock.
- Know and avoid the location of high voltage power lines in flight planning. Use a drone app or a mapping tool that can help you pinpoint the location of high voltage lines.
- Always maintain a visual connection and heighten your observation of your surroundings. Be aware of any potential high voltage lines or pylons and adjust your flight path accordingly.
- Follow local regulations and know the restrictions and prohibited areas for flying drones. Certain regions may have specific regulations prohibiting flying near high voltage lines.
- Do not attempt to fly your drone in high wind conditions, especially near high voltage lines.
Flying drones close to high-voltage power lines presents serious hazards, including the risk of electric shock, communication interference, wind changes, and distance misjudgment. To ensure safety and avoid potential injuries and losses, we should always avoid flying drones in areas close to high-voltage lines. For commercial drones, obtaining a drone flight license is also one of the important regulations
Check Out: Autel Drone for Power Line Inspections