In the United States, if you own a drone, you need to register it with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which will allow you to fly it legally in the United States and avoid possible civil or criminal penalties. First make sure you need to register online. Only by flying a registered drone in accordance with the law can you enjoy it safely and legally.
Which drones need to be registered?
1. Determine whether you are operating your drone only for non-commercial purposes. If you are planning to fly a drone for fun as a hobby or toy, no registration is required.
2. If you use it for freelance videography, photography or filmmaking, it is considered a commercial project and requires registration.
3. Even if it is for commercial use, you do not need to register it if you are only using it indoors.
4. If you want to use your drone outside the United States, you need to register it.
5. If the drone weighs 0.55 to 55 pounds (0.25 to 24.95 kg). If the drone falls within this weight range, it must be registered.
6. If the drone weighs less than 0.55 pounds (0.25 kg) and you are using it for non-commercial purposes, registration is not required.
Register on the FAA website
1. Apply on the FAA official website. Visit the website: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ and create an account. The registration process is entirely online, so you can complete it on your computer or smartphone. You will need to provide your email address and create a password for your account.
2. You can then use this account to update or renew your registration online as needed. Provide your full name and mailing address. You will also need to agree to the FAA Safety Guidelines list to proceed with your application.
Get a registration certificate
1. You need to pay a registration fee of US$5. The online site only accepts credit card payments, so you will need to provide your credit card number.
2. Receive your registration certificate via email. After submitting your information and paying the fee, you will receive a registration certificate for your drone. Keep an electronic copy on your phone or computer so you can produce it if needed. You can also print a physical copy of the certificate and take it with you while flying your drone.
3. Remember, if you own more than one drone or a group of drones, the registration will cover them all. You do not need to register each drone individually.
Update drone registration
Registration expires every 3 years. Therefore, remember to renew your drone registration every 3 years. Simply log into your FAA website account and pay $5 to obtain an updated certificate of registration.
Learn more about Autel drone registration
1.Autel EVO Nano series drones weighing less than 250g are exempt from registration.
2. Autel account registration is for a better flying experience and records every flight of the drone.
3. Follow all U.S. drone laws and regulations to avoid disputes.